Sunday, January 15, 2017

Cataloochee

I had wanted to go into Cataloochee Valley where there is an elk herd. Alas, the road into was closed. Last five miles into this area is a crazy dirt road. Park had shut it down due to damage from ice storms which ran through earlier this week. I'm going back to see those elk.

So, since yesterday I couldnt get into valley, hiked Cataloochee Divide trail from Cove Creek to Swag House, all along  eastern boundary of Smokies. All along the trail, there is an old, or the remnants of an old, CCC fence put up in 30s. I suspect some parts have been redone by zealous landowners.

Hiked with Maggie the dog, who found me about a mile from Swag House and hiked with me for three hours, right to trail head and my car. Dog is a long story but not my dog. I ended up having to go into Asheville to the humane. Good news, Maggie has been reunited with her owner.

Leaves, section 20 of Song of Myself:
"All I mark as my own you shall offset it with your own,/ Else it were time lost listening to me." That is a charge.


No comments: